Friday, May 21, 2010

The Piano Man

If you are a sensitive soul, read no further.  This could get offensive...But I don't care.  It's all without hate and in good fun.

My apartment has to be close to a school for the...what is the PC term these days...Mentally deficient?  ILL IN DA MINDED?  Whatever, you get the point.  Everyday, I ride my bike to school (rain permitting) and I see one of three people.  I've see two of them sporadically, and the third I see almost everyday.  I couldn't help but to give them names for my own entertainment. 

The first I've seen about three times.  I call him The Mad Rapper.  He walks back and fourth in front of a tire store speaking really fast and moving his hand up and down like he is pounding his fist on a desk.  He makes me want to study more Korean so I can understand what he is saying.  But I'll tell you, he's got passion for whatever he's rapping about.

The second person, I believe is a SHE, I like to call The E-static Scarecrow.  I see her about once every two weeks...aka twice a month.  Stands about 20 meters from where The Mad Rapper stands and NEVER on the same day he is there.  She definitely has Down Syndrome from her facial features, but she has to be the happiest people I have ever seen.  She stands on the sidewalk right near the street and stares diagonally across the intersection sans movement.  She stares with the most intensity, and the biggest smile I have ever seen.  It is a very big intersection with many things to look at, and whenever I pass it I always try to figure out exactly what she is so happy about.  It might just be the traffic going through, or the traffic light changing, but there is definitely something there worth staring at for her.  I don't know what...but whenever I pass, she looks at me and her smile gets THAT much bigger.  As if she is saying to me "hey, you GOTTA check this shit out". 

The third person, is a man I see every day in front of a seafood restaurant.  He can only be dubbed THE PIANO MAN.  On rainy days I call him The Pianist, because it is more depressing and fit for a cloudy and lethargic day.  Think of it like an E minor instead of an E Major.  But he stands sometimes alone, and sometimes with a woman who I am guessing, for lack of a better word, is his "aid".  He is a tall skinny man, with a dark colored ball cap, a dark long sleeve shirt, and dark blue jeans.  He wears a smile, and while his right hand completes all of his necessary motions, his left hand stays clutched by his side, with is thumb pointing up.  His fingers open and close from, pinky to pointer, in a cannon.  And they never stop moving.  I always feel like he is playing an instrument and I wonder what would happen if an instrument was put in front of him, and then his hand on top of it.

All of these people are unlucky in the scheme of accepted life, but I think, for their lives, they are perfectly content.  They don't look homeless, and I'm sure have families and places to live.  Which is why I am able to joke about them without regret or sadness.  Happiness is easy when your life is simple.  Especially for The Piano Man (it's not raining today) because he is well cared for by that woman who stands with him, always joking and play fighting with him...although sometimes she delivers quite a punch to his arm (which he isn't phased by).  He talks a mile a minute to her and even tries to chase her sometimes.  

My ride to work is only 5 minutes...and I see all of them for about 15 seconds.  But 15 seconds everyday, I can kinda put together a running idea of what their morning is like.  It's very interesting. 

Peace.   

No comments: