Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Elections??? PLEASE NO!

It's election day in Korea.  I think it's for local governments.  Normally that isn't bad...except Korea has a different idea of campaigning.

Normally there are posters and tv commercials, ads and interviews.  They do that too, but on top of it they also have the most annoying system of public appearances in the whole world.

What the candidates do is rent these trucks, which is basically a pick up truck enclosed with railings that have their pictures on it.  That wouldn't be so bad, except for the 5 or 6 old Korean women in the thing dancing with the same shirts and same bored moves over and over.  Their expressions are blank, except for one, who is probably the wife or the daughter of the candidate.  NOT BAD ENOUGH?  THERE IS MORE!  The WORST part of it all is the trucks are blaring these horrible remade pop songs with the candidates name in it.  Imagine whatever pop song is popular now, but the words changed, sang by someone not even nearly as good as the original singer, and their stupid name said over and over again.  

Now take that truck, the old ladies, the big pictures, and the annoying songs, and start them up at 8am.  Then drive all over the streets back and fourth, over and over and over and over again.  And do for 10 people for 2 weeks.  I have a day off today for election day...but I would almost give it up just so I don't have to hear this.  I did say ALMOST!  They are finally done and I am sitting home on a Wed. 

My worst experience was a rainy day that I was walking to work and there was a lot of traffic.  One of those trucks was right next to me, and stuck in traffic.  I finally got past the music and it was getting lower.  Then the light changed and it caught up and stopped right next to me.  I sped up, and walked faster.  Finally, away from the truck...then guess what.  AGAIN, RIGHT NEXT TO ME.  For 10 minutes this repeated.  I was so happy to finally get to school!

No comments: